The Drive In

Drive In2

There is a wonderful thing in America that is slowly dying, The Drive In.  We are lucky to have 5 left open here in Washington (there were 11 Total, but 6 have since “Gone Dark”) and 2 of them are within driving distance to my family.

This Saturday, I took my girls to visit my Dad who happens to live not far from one of them.  Because it’s over an hour away and the movies don’t start until after the sun goes down, we opted to sleep over at his house.

I digress though.

A normal trip to the theater for my family to see ONE movie can cost upwards of 50.00 USD for JUST the tickets!  At the drive in though, we have the option to see 2 movies for about 33.00 for 4 people.  We also can wear pajamas, bring in some dinner and goof off before the movies start.

The Rodeo Drive In has play grounds at each of their three screens and they show First Run movies!  This weekend for us was Guardians of the Galaxy 2 as well as Beauty and The Beast.

We went with my little brother as Teddy Bear was out of town visiting his dad and we had fun!

Before we went, we stopped off at a Dollar Tree and nabbed some shower caddy’s.


I tried to find a picture of them on the Dollar Tree site, but alas my search was in vain.  I originally got this idea from Pinterest though so that’s where the picture comes from.

These things are great to take to the theater and they come in 3 colors!  I put popcorn in one section (didn’t buy the little popcorn buckets) and candy in another then their drink was held in the smaller section.  This kept our in car mess to a minimum (although my brother was a bit perplexed by why I was getting them.

We then headed out to Bremerton and paid to get in, turned our stereo to the station they told us to be on and got parked.

While my brother took The Bean down to the playground, The Voice and I went to get our popcorn and drinks.  For a large popcorn, Icee, 3 medium drinks and 2 pretzels was 38.00.  Again, WAY less than going to a regular theater.

We had our blankets in the car to keep warm and snuggly and had a nice view of the screen!

Drive In

It was a fun filled night that we all enjoyed!  I really wish that Drive In movies would make a huge comeback!

When they originally opened in the 1950’s, there were over 4000 of them across the U.S.  Sadly now there are only about 330 left.   If you want to know if there is one open near you, go to you will find a list of remaining drive in’s as well as the address and possibly their websites.

Introduce yourself again to a little nostalgia!


Illness Home Remedies

Before The Bean and I go to bed every night, we like to watch video’s on YouTube.  I recently started watching Corrine vs. Pin because 1. She is awesome and 2. There are some amazing things she attempts from Pinterest that she will let us know are either hit’s or misses.

Corrine though is married to Rob (a.k.a. Threadbanger) who although entertaining is not to bright.

He is the one The Bean loves to watch though because (and I quote) “I love seeing him hurt himself“.  Last night we watched Rob attempt some “at home remedies” for when you are feeling sick.

First he went to his local medical provider who informed him he had “The Crud” and sent him home with no direction on how to feel better and no medicine.  This prompted Rob to look online for ideas on how to kick his bug to the curb.

  1. Antique cough medicine recipe for a toddler/child that included booze.
  2. Something called “Fire Cider” which is loaded with apple cider vinegar, jalapenos, and a few other choice ingredients.
  3. Onions in his socks and ears as he slept.

Neither one of these things helped and I couldn’t help but shake my head.

Rob asked in his video (no clue how long ago this was posted by the way) for other methods that help to get you better when you are down with a cold or flu.  Essentially this post is directed at Rob, but can be applied to anyone and these are things I do for myself and my girls when we are feeling like death warmed over.

  1. Orange Juice for days!  Up your Vitamin C intake as much as possible and no Sunny Delight does NOT count.  Think Tropicana, Odwalla C Monster/Orange Juice.
  2. Vicks Vapor Rub on your feet.  I have no clue why this works, but it does.  You take a nice warm bath and once dried off apply the menthol gel to your feet and put socks on.  It helps you breathe easier and sleep and the effects will last.
  3. Chicken Noodle Soup.  From scratch is best, but in a pinch the Campbells soup that’s NOT condensed does the trick.  It’s a well known fact that Chicken Noodle Soup is Grandma’s Penicillin.

The best thing about these methods is that you can use them while traveling as well!

If you want/need a good laugh,  hop on over to YouTube and check out Rob or if you want to see some well planned out stuff check out his awesome wife Corrine!

Keep Running….

I realize I should have already posted the second half of our overnight trip to Seattle and filled you guy’s in on the Underground Tour, but I’ve had a lot of things going on right now.

I always feel like I’m running.  Running forward, running around to get things accomplished, I feel like I’m running when I’m sitting still!

When I first started this blog, I said that there were some changes going on in my life.  The first big change is I’m getting a D I V O R C E.  (Like spelling it makes it any easier right?)  At the same time I’m working on getting all the papers for that signed, my soon to be ex-husband is buying a house.  This means I am looking for a place to move into.  All while I’ve been handling both of those things, I have been applying for positions closer to home.  Recently I was offered a position that would take my commute from 2 hours a day to 1 hour a day.   I’ve felt like I’ve been doing so much running that apparently my nylons have begun to feel the strain.  This morning there was a huge runner (read hole) in them.

There are mom’s out there who feel like they don’t do enough for their kids/families and I am one of them.  I could stay home and take care of everything and still feel like nothing was accomplished.  I work away from home though and still do my best to take care of the cooking and the cleaning and still feel like I’ve literally done nothing for my kids.

Then I stop and take a minute to remember the trips I plan for our weekends.  I’m teaching my kids to love their environment.  I’ve taken them to study Washington State History, see how blown glass art is made, taken them under the city of Seattle to get a glimpse of how much things have changed.  I’ve taken them to mountains and lakes.

Parents in general are always running.  Running to beat traffic, running to make it to events, it’s like we never stop.

Remember to take time, not just with your children but with yourself to enjoy life!  Make time for day trips, overnights, weekend trips, vacations (even the small ones).  Embrace the way we used to travel before flying became popular (Road Trip!) and embrace camping because there is nothing more amazing then when your child looks at an animal or a tree in a whole new light.

Remember to embrace romance!  Remember to embrace yourself!

“Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!”  Auntie Mame



Baseballs and Bunnies pt.1

Friday was a very busy day for us, even with me getting off work early.  I left at 1 p.m. and was doing my best to get to a job interview at 2 p.m which I ended up being late for thanks to car accidents.  After getting out of there, I rushed home and was relieved that we had opted to ride the Sounder into Seattle as opposed to driving.  After changing and grabbing our coats and other Mariners gear, we were settled on the Sounder…


I really enjoyed the train ride into Seattle for several reasons.

  1. It was only 14.00 for the three of us to ride one way to Kings Station which was very close to SafeCo Field.
  2.  It was a fast ride.  We got on the 4:30 train and were in Seattle by a little after 5 p.m
  3. No sitting in traffic!

After walking a few blocks, we passed through the gates (after getting our tickets scanned) and wet up to the Club Level to find our seats.

Both girls were REALLY impressed, especially when I informed them that to move through the various levels we would need our tickets to come back to our section.  They kept saying we were “VIP’s” and that everything was really cool, especially our view!


This was the Bean’s FIRST ever Baseball game and I wanted her to have a good view so I could fill her in on the rules and how things worked.  I think she was more impressed with the monitors that displayed stats and occasionally showed people dancing or kissing in various sections.

We walked through a few parts of each level to decide what we wanted to eat and to find the Kids Club area to sign them both up as Junior Mariners.

This is something completely free that they do at SafeCo, kids can get a bag with a ball and lanyard with a card that holds their name.  Parents also get notifications about special things that they do for kids.

Friday night was Ken Griffey Jr. Statue night, so all three of us got mini replicas of the statue they erected outside of the stadium.  What we didn’t know was that Ken Griffey Jr. was actually at SafeCo field that night!

The Voice was very impressed!


We had finally gotten to our seats and I had finally gotten our food (Chicken Strips and Fries for the Bean, Cheeseburgers and Garlic fries for The Voice and I), stood for the National Anthem and were getting situated when they announced that he was there and would be throwing out the first pitch of the game.

Side note about food at SafeCo field;

The lines can get very long but are very much worth it.  The cheeseburgers are delicious and loaded with toppings (lettuce, tomato, onion) but you have to get your own condiments.  Garlic Fries and French fries come in a huge container that is more than enough for one person.   They offer Sushi, Vegan and Gluten free items, ice cream, dipping dots, they have several bars and even have a soft drink cup with bottomless refills ($11.00).  A new menu item this year is roasted chili lime crickets, they were $4.00 for one little container and were selling out FAST.  There was a guy in our section who let me try one, it didn’t taste horrible more like a corn nut but It’s not something I would do again.

There are 9 innings in a baseball game.  We made it to 6 before the cold finally started to get to us.  By this time Teddy Bear had already checked into our hotel for the night and was making his way to us, but in the wrong direction!

Considering the girls wanted to go swimming and he was told the pool closed at 10:30 and it was a little after 9 p.m. the girls decided we should beat the crowds and head out.

We left the stadium and started walking before coming across a Pedi-Cab/Rickshaw driver.  I asked him how much to get to the Marriott Pioneer Square and he said $20.00 which was a steal in my eyes.  It was cold and my babies were ready to get where they wanted to go.  So I called Teddy Bear up and told him to head back to the hotel as we got a lift.

I’m really wishing I had taken pictures of the inside of this hotel.  You walk in and the floors are Marble and beautiful.  You can tell that Marriott tried to do some more modern updates, but they don’t clash with the history in the building.  Our room was a corner room, not far from the elevator with a huge king size bed and a pull out couch.  If anything my only complaint was that their alarm clock only had charging options for the really old IPhones and I have an IPhone 7.

We sent the girls to the bathroom to change and we all got dressed and went down to the basement to swim in the pool.  Although it was heated, it was a little to cold for my liking so I went up to the room to change into something warm and came back down to watch them swim.

We were in bed a little after 11 p.m and fast asleep.  The Bean and I were up early (not entirely sure why, could have been our stomachs growling) and patiently waiting for the spot we had chosen for breakfast to open.

Biscuit Bitch (yes that’s the real name) was literally just around the corner and up one block from the entrance to our hotel.


If you check in using Yelp!, you get 20% off your entire order and a sticker.  The Bean got a biscuit with butter and jam, The Voice got a biscuit with egg, bacon and cheese, Teddy Bear got biscuits with gravy, jalapenos, sausage and eggs and I got biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs and grits.

image1 (1)

We got beverages from Starbucks (also across the street from our hotel) and used my Starbucks card so breakfast for the 4 of us was only 27.00 (rounded up because I don’t remember the change) and was very much worth it.  Although the space is small, the staff is friendly, the decor is interesting but inviting and the music is jumping.  The biscuits themselves are flaky and hot out of the oven, everything is made to order so there can be a bit of a wait but again it’s well worth it.

After breakfast, we all got dressed and packed up our overnight bag and then walked to where he had parked the car.  We paid for parking until 1:30 which was 20.00 and some change.  While taking our items to the car, the attendant thought we were leaving.  Because there was no attendant the night before, Teddy Bear was a little confused as to how it would work.  We showed the attendant our voucher and he said when we were ready to leave to let him know and he would let us out.  So we stowed our bags in the car and walked over to Pioneer Square to go Underground…


We had never done this tour before but were always interested in some of the History of the City of Seattle.  It was 54.00 for the 4 of us and is a 75 minute walking tour that’s full of history and jokes.

I have some pictures to share and some antic dotes as well, but will have to get back to that shortly.  Stay tuned!


Everybody’s Working For the Weekend

Common Friday!

I’ve been looking forward to this weekend for quite a while now….well since Teddy Bear bought myself, the voice and bean tickets to see the Mariners play.

Just last week he had me book a hotel in Seattle for us for the night and recently informed me that we will be going on a tour of Underground Seattle!

Seattle was a thriving city on the water until 1889 until a fire destroyed what had been built.  They decided to build on top of what had been destroyed though and then it was forgotten about until 1954 when this guy named Bill Speidel decided to try to help restore the historic Pioneer Square (it’s got that beautiful glass pergola that people went ape on when the Seahawks won the Superbowl) as it was falling into disrepair.

He and his wife did some “digging” pun intended and found out that after the fire, they opted to use only masonry work as the originals contained wood and another fun fact, the land the city was built on was basically a tidal flat area.  So when it rained (as it does often here in the PNW) kids, dogs, and wagons would get stuck.  Retaining walls were built on either side of the old streets and filled in.  They then built on top of that leaving everything as it had been.

Now people pay money go to see what was.  I’m excited that we will be one of them.

So common FRIDAY!


Mariner Madness

Full Disclosure: I am a HUGE Baseball Fan!

I’ve lived in Washington for 5 years now (I only know this because XFinity sent me 5 free On Demand Rentals for 5 years of service) and have been to 2 Mariners Games so far.

Eventually I would love to become a season ticket holder, but that will have to wait for a while as there are large changes coming into my life in the next few years.

I love everything about our local Baseball Stadium (SafeCo Field) though.  I could honestly feel at home at ANY American Ball Park (My goal is to one day see the Red Sox play at their home field) but considering this one is close to my home, this has become my team.  They don’t always win, but they put up a good fight!

Next weekend, I get to leave work at 1 p.m. to go home and get my kids ready to go to the ball park.  What they don’t know yet is that we will be staying overnight in Seattle.  I’m sorry but the game is at 7 p.m and won’t be done until 9, then there is getting home (over an hour with traffic).


This is a picture of traffic from Tacoma to Seattle.  I took it on the way to my first game with my Baby Brother and my Mom.  I do NOT want to fight this stuff at all so I’m seriously considering parking at a commuter lot and taking the express bus into Seattle with the girls.  Not only will I save money on parking but someone else can do the driving and I can spend more time interacting with them.  Bonus I will save money on gas!


Here I am at my first game!  It was in May in 2015.  Our seats were on the first level, right in the sun but we could have caught a pop fly had it come in our direction.  The great thing about this section is when they are warming up, if anything goes flying to the stands and you catch it you keep it.  Call me a little kid but another goal of mine is to catch a fly ball.  I bought my first Mariners item because of these seats….the hat on my head.


Then in August of 2016, I went with my two Brothers and Mom to see the Mariners play the Anaheim Angels.  Yes, I come from a crazy family and yes, one of my brothers is pretending to pick his nose while the other gives me bunny ears.  This game just happened to be not only a Bobble Head Game (you get a bobble head of a player) but it was a celebration of Ken Griffey Jr’s time as a Mariner.   Everyone got Jersey’s with his name and number.

Our game night lands on Griffey Replica Statue night and I honestly can’t wait to share pictures from our commute to Seattle, the game, the food and the hotel with all of you!


Almost Mount St. Helens


Saturday we were busier than one armed paper hangars!  Up at 7:00 to go to the chiropractor (love getting adjusted!) and then on the road to go to Mount St. Helens.

My best laid plans were not very well planned out unfortunately, but we made the best of it.

  1. We didn’t stop soon enough to get breakfast so we stopped at the “last food” option before going further onto the mountain.  Let’s just say it wasn’t that good and although it put something into our bellies, we decided we wouldn’t return on future trips.
  2. I didn’t check the snow forecast/closure list for the mountain.

The drive down was really nice, drizzly but nice.  We didn’t hit any major traffic and time seemed to breeze by

Our first stop was the Visitor Center and after this we wanted to drive up to Johnston Ridge Observatory to learn more.

My Dad had taken me to Johnston Ridge YEARS ago when I was in high school, and it made a lasting impression on me.  The view was amazing and the building was loaded with information and artifacts.  I thought for sure this would be the place to go for The Bean to learn as much as she could to become a Volcano Expert!

We walked into the Visitor Center though and soon found out that due to heavy snows, Johnston Ridge was closed until May.  Very sad panda moment here.

The visitor center though had a little exhibit area that you could tour.  After talking to the Ranger on Duty (Alyssa) we found out that The Bean could do this little booklet program for FREE and learn something about Geology and Volcano-logy!

To tour the exhibit was a small fee ($5.00 for Adults and $2.50 for Students, if you had a party size larger than ours, it’s $15.00 for Families with children up to 17 years of age) and we gladly paid it.

In addition to a model of the entire area of the volcano with blast area and other information, there are exhibits that show how tech-tonic plates work, how volcano’s are created, what the area was like pre-eruption (May 18, 1980).  There is also this huge mock up of the mountain you can walk under to learn more about magma and what volcano’s are composed of.

The Bean enjoyed the entire exhibit and was happily trying to answer questions in her booklet.  I think her favorite part though was the seismograph.  They have one under the floor boards that you can jump on to see the needle move as it tracks you the same way they track vibrations that occur on various mountains across the world.

Fun Fact: Not all mountains are volcano’s and not all volcano’s are mountains.


She only had to complete 6 sections of the booklet before she was sworn in as an “honorary Junior Geologist”.  For all her hard work, she received a certificate (was on the back of the booklet) , an honest to goodness plastic gold badge, a sticker and a map of volcano’s in the cascades to show her class.

We were disappointed that Johnston Ridge was closed but were informed that the Science and Learning Center was open, so that was our next destination.

On the way there, we pulled over for one of the viewing sites and couldn’t see much of the mountain…


Somewhere, among all of those clouds is Mount St.Helens.

The Science and Learning center didn’t have as much to offer as the Visitor Center and by the time we got up there, it was drizzling more, so we didn’t stay long.

Then began the long trek back down to I-5 so we could go home, on this whole road though I was looking for somewhere to pull over to get The Bean some ash to show her class.  I was hopeful even though The Bear kept insisting that it had been 36 years since the eruption and I wasn’t likely to find any.  I was determined though considering my dad had gotten me a lot when he took me (*cough* over 10 years earlier).  Sadly it didn’t happen.

There wasn’t snow at the Science and Learning Center, but on the way up we did run into snow, and on the way down The Bean became a grumpy Gus.  The joke then started that we were going to make a “snow Bean”.  It only took finding a safe place to pull over so we could play in some of the snow….

Considering we were lacking our snow gear, we didn’t play with the snow that long.  We threw some snow balls though and had a few laughs before piling back into the van to drive home.

We finally got back on the road after 2:30 p.m. and were in Chehalis at 4:00 p.m. which is were we stopped to eat something.

The name of the restaurant is Jeremy’s Farm To Table.  Everything there is locally grown and the menu changes frequently depending on what’s available in that season.  We arrived to early for pasta (I had found the site on Yelp and the pasta looked divine!

We also had a little girl who had been asleep since getting done playing in the snow and she was NOT happy.  It took some coaxing but she finally cheered up (maybe it was showing her the desert case?) and was back to her normal self.


We started off with cheese curds that are made with Beechers cheese.  This is cheese that as far as I know you can only get in Washington.   I can either go to Seattle and buy it/watch them make it or get it from local grocery stores like Tacoma Boys.

The Bean got a personal cheese pizza…


While The Teddy Bear and I shared a Prime Rib Pizza..


I didn’t take pictures of desert!  I wouldn’t have had time to either because they were soo good!  The Bean got a Brownie warmed with vanilla ice cream and The Teddy Bear and I shared a Chocolate Mousse with whipped cream on top.

I also did some browsing in the small farmers market attached to the restaurant…I’m a sucker for apple chips and bought a large bag of them for $15.00.

We have decided to make another trek back to Mount St.Helens in June before school lets out, and this time The Voice will be coming with us (she was to tired from staying out till midnight the night before watching Boss Baby) and we will be taking a cooler with sandwich/lunch stuffs to eat.  We also will be eating breakfast before we hit the road.

All in all, even with the weather and things being closed it was a good trip.